Sunday, September 4, 2011

Conch Fritters

I thought I would start this off with one of my favorite recipes from my cruising days circa 1994....Conch Fritters by Paula Thomas aboard "Sooncome". Getting the conch ground to a eatable state was no easy task when living on the hook. I discovered that a softball-sized brain coral was the perfect tool for the job. Sitting on the deck with a cocktail and pounding away on the conch (using a cutting board), is one of my happiest and most resourceful moments. I felt a little primitive yet welcomed the experience. And was so looking forward to dinner.

1 lb conch
1 sml onion
1 rib celery
1/2 green pepper
1 sml hot pepper, seeded and minced
1 t thyme
1 T ketchup
2 c all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1 c water
cooking oil
salt and pepper

  • Pound conch then grind in processor (if available).
  • Add onion, celery, green pepper, hot pepper, thyme,ketchup, salt and pepper. Mix well.
  • Sprinkle the flour and baking powder (a little at a time) over the bowl and mix well until all is used.
  • Add the water a teaspoon at a time to make soft batter.
  • Heat oil in large skillet
  • Drop rounded spoonfuls of the batter into oil until skillet is full but not crowded. Turn to brown on all sides.
  • Dip out and place on paper towel.
Serve with a mixture of thousand island dressing and ketchup. Or mayo, relish and ketchup mixed.
Serves 6


No comments:

Post a Comment